· GAD is a development perspective and process that are participatory and empowering, equitable, sustainable, free from violence, respectful of human rights, supportive of self-determination and actualization of human potentials. It seeks to achieve gender equality as a fundamental value that should be reflected in development choices; seeks to transform society’s social, economic, and political structures and questions the validity of the gender roles they ascribed to women and men; contends that women are active agents of development and not just passive recipients of development assistance; and stress the need of women to organize themselves and participate in political processes to strengthen their legal rights.
· Women and men have different development needs and interests, which is institutionalized and perpetuated by cultural, social, economic and political norms, systems and structures.
· Through the GFPS of agencies, GAD planning and budgeting is conducted annually as part of the overall planning and budgeting cycle of the national government. The PCW issues annual guidelines in the preparation and submission of the annual GPBs and GAD ARs.
· The priority in GAD planning and budgeting includes PAPs that address gender mandates and gender issues of government agencies. These PAPs are gender-responsive initiatives to ensure that GAD is present and mainstreamed in government agencies. The GAD budget for PAPs on gender mainstreaming of at least five percent (5%) is a way to influence the remaining budget of ninety-five percent (95%) of the entire plans and programs of government agencies. Thus, the utilization and outcome of the GAD budget are annually monitored and evaluated in terms of its success in influencing the gender-responsive implementation of the entire agency plans, program, and budget.
What tools can be used in assessing the gender-responsiveness of the agency’s policies and major programs and projects?
· HGDG. The HGDG was formulated by the NEDA in 2004, in collaboration with the PCW (formerly NCRFW) and the Official Development Assistance-Gender and Development (ODA-GAD) Network, with funding support from the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Asian Development Bank (ADB). Using its 3rd Edition published in May 2016, the HGDG is used as a tool in GAD planning and budgeting to assess the gender-responsiveness of major programs/projects of agencies, It also provides a common instrument in integrating gender perspectives in development programs/projects among government agencies, donor organizations, and other stakeholders.
Read more: What tools can be used in assessing the gender-responsiveness of the agency’s policies and major...
· Republic Act (RA) No. 9710, the Magna Carta of Women (MCW), which was approved on August 14, 2009. The law created the Philippine Commission on Women (PCW) which replaced the National Commission on the Role of Filipino Women (NCRFW). Under the law, the PCW is the primary policy-making and coordinating body of women and gender equality under the Office of the President, as well as the monitoring body and oversight to ensure the implementation of the law.
· Section 14, Article II of the 1987 Constitution provides the State policy, thus: “The State recognizes the role of women in nation-building, and shall ensure the fundamental equality before the law of women and men.”
Page 1 of 8